UHMS congratulates Ms. Nicole Ashton for being this week's Teacher of the Week! Let's get to know a little about Ms. Ashton!
1. Where did you grow up? I grew up right here in Union City. #UC #YouKnow
2. Where did you go to school? Way back then, it was known as Jefferson Annex. Now it’s called Sara M. Gilmore Academy. After that I went to Dwight Englewood High School. For undergrad, I went to New York University and Seton Hall, where I majored in English Literature. I just completed my Master’s Degree as a Reading Specialist at New Jersey City University 2 weeks ago, Class of 2020! YAY! (What should I study next?!)
3. What is one thing students don't know about you that would surprise them? 1. Teaching is my 2nd career. I used to work in Advertising and Public Relations for the Hispanic Market and I was a freelance writer & magazine editor. 2. I’m a major #BookNerd. The one thing I cannot live without is reading. 3. I LOVE spicy foods!
4. What is a talent/hobby/collection you spend time outside of school hours? Besides books and taking classes, I love all things fashion, makeup, skincare, and style. I see them as methods of self-care and self-expression.
5. What is your favorite thing about teaching? Two things: Bringing the big, big world into our little slice of Union City. There’s so much to explore out there. We shouldn’t be hampered just because we are surrounded by the four walls of our classroom. Also, that lightbulb moment! When we are working on a difficult topic, and a student gets that flash of light in their eyes, and says, “I GET IT!” That’s why teachers teach. It’s the ultimate reward. That makes me happy.
Congratulations, Ms. Ashton! Keep up the great work! #UHMSTogetherAtHome